Job Boards Specializing in Work at Home Jobs
Flexjobs.com is our top pick for work at home job boards. Read all about why and about how you can receive 30% off their monthly or annual subscription here.
Other Job Boards Where Work at Home Jobs Often Appear
Search Engine for Work At Home jobs
largest database of work at home jobs
• Blog Directory
Small business and entrepreneurship blog directory
Good source of work at home jobs
Work At Home Computer Jobs
Work At Home Healthcare Jobs
Work-Life / Career Advice
• 4-Hour Workweek
Work anywhere, work at home, work-life advice
• Brazen Careerist
Career, work-life fit, and work at home advice
• FlexJobs Blog for Work-Life Balance
Articles related to work-life balance, working from home
Job advice from career professionals
• The Adventures of Johnny Bunko
A career guide for the 21st Century student — Not your father’s kind of job advice.
• Quintessential Careers: Careers, Job & Freelance Guide
A comprehensive career development site that offers all job-seekers and freelancers valuable career and job-search information and links.
• The Virtual Handshake
Everything you could ever want to know about connecting with others virtually. An essential read for new and even experienced networkers.
• Weddles Guide
Guide to resources for employment, personal development and career success.
• What Color Is Your Parachute
Web companion site for the famed book, What Color Is Your Parachute.
• Work+Life Fit
Work/life blog with daily advice for creating balance in your life.
Telecommuting, flextime, job sharing advice
•The FlexJobs Blog
Telecommuting, flexible schedules, job search advice
Loads of good articles, advice, and links for freelancers.
• Freelance Switch
Excellent source of information about how to acquire, manage, and price your freelance services. Be sure to participate in their freelance survey and you’ll get a free copy of the insightful results.
Great reading on a wide variety of issues that impact freelancers, telecommuters, and teleworkers. They’re one of the few blogs that makes my RSS feed. Full disclosure: I occasionally blog for them, but they don’t pay me–I do it because their blog offers an professional approach to the whole ‘work anywhere’ topic.
Where to Find Freelance Work / Job Leads
Established in 2000, Guru now represents over 30,000 employers. Over 93,000 projects were posted in 2007.
As of May 2008, Elance had over 130,000 freelance service providers and 40,000 active buyers—an increase of 60 percent from the year prior. More than 4,000 projects—representing $2 million in business—are posted each week.
In business since 2001, RentaCoder is an online marketplace connecting over 100,000 buyers with 200,000 freelancers. Buyers can find the best coder from around the block or around the world and conduct business safely through RentaCoder.com
oDesk’s site calculator shows 92,000 posted projects, 87,000 freelancers, and $34 million in total project values. They offer free skills testing to help promote your value to prospective customers.
Specialty Freelance Work / Job Leads
• Freelance Writing Gigs
Freelance writing advice and legitimate job leads from a full-time freelance writer and blogger.
Home Based Business Advice
• About.com Small Business
Small Business Advice
• About.com: Entrepreneurs
Small Business Entrepreneurs On About.com
Social media and coaching for small and home-based businesses
• Evan Charmichael – Entrepreneurial Advice
Motivation and Strategies for Entrepreneurs
• Enterprise Nation
Enterprise Nation – the home business website. A free resource to help you start and grow a business at home.
• About: Home Business
Home Based Business Advice from About.com• Expert Home-Based Business Advice
Home-based business expertise on evancarmichael.com
• Spare Room Start Up
Largest site of its kind in the UK and companion to “Spare Room Start Up – how to start a business from home”
• About.com Mobile Office
Work from home technology advice and resources
Lisa is a home-based call center operator with LiveOps. Her site offers helpful links and insider advice about working from home.
• Web Worker Daily
Excellent source of information for home-based employees and business owners.
• Effective Workplace Series: Telework
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Work And Family Research
• Work-Life Policy Ctr
Research and advocacy for work-life programs
• Sloan Family Research
Sloan Work & Family Research Network at Boston College
• Familes And Work
Work at home, work life family research and advocacy
• Alliance For Work-Life Progress
Organization dedicated to advancing work-life as a business strategy integrating work, family and community.
Other Telecommuting / Telework Resources on the Web
- About.com: Mobile Office Technology – Resources and products for mobile workers, tips and advice for telecommuters, home office resources and remote work business traveling information.
- Beyond Telecommuting – 1993 study carried out by Global Telematics (Jack Nilles) for the United States Department of Energy (USDOE) and the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) in support of the development of the National Information Infrastructure (NII). Includes ‘Perspectives On Telecommunications and Transportation’, ‘Policy Analysis’, and ‘Recommendations’.
- European Telework Week – Although there is no longer a Telework Week, this European site focuses on the changing nature of socio-economic activity in the developing information society including changes to the nature of work and the working environment. Good practice, case studies, security and dependability, and policy issues.
- Euro-Telework – Research and reports on telework and telecommuting in Europe.
- eWork Solutions – Provides information and links relating to eWork strategies, experiences, comments and events and offers consultancy services to Irish employers
- eWorking Women – Community of women in business online and those who want to work freelance, telecommute or find at-home computer work or jobs online.
- FlexJobs – A resource for a wide variety of telecommuting and work from home job opportunities, each one hand-screened and legitimate.
- Future Work Forum – Reports, forum, workshops and Seminar at Henley Research Centres.
- Gill Gordon & Associates – Provides information to individuals and companies on telecommuting programs.
- Go Green! Work From Home – Home-based employment opportunities and work at home jobs
- Home Job Coach – Resource for telecommuting and work from home opportunities. Offers a downloadable guide that provides access to more than 100 companies who regularly hire at-home workers.
- InnoVisions Canada – Source of information about telework and telecommuting, with information about the Canadian Telework Association, a non-profit association dedicated to promoting telework.
- iVillage Work From Home Channel – Offers information for women who freelance, own home businesses or telecommute.
- JALA International – Overview of telework, telecommuting, and applied futures research consulting services.
- LOMA – Explores the issues surrounding telecommuting and gives examples of how to implement telecommuting and work from home policies.
- NoCommute.org – Provides premium telecommuting, office hoteling, conferencing and business services.
- the NuNomad – An information and community site for nomadic professionals and entrepreneurs who are telecommuting from anywhere.
- Oregon Office of Energy Telework Web Site – Information on telecommuting, how it works, how it benefits employees and employers and how to start or improve a telework program.
- SafeWork – Teleworking – PDF report on teleworking.
- Sloan Work and Family Research Network — Telework Topics – Research and resources about telecommuting plus additional work and family topics.
- Telecommunications and Travel Behavior Research Program – At the University of California, Davis. Information on projects, staff, publication and related sites.
- Telecommute CT – Telecommute Connecticut! is a statewide initiative providing free assistance to employers with the design, development and implementation of telecommuting as a worksite alternative. Lots of great resources and information for telecommuters.
- Telecommuter Guidelines – Information on developing work objectives, organizational and time management strategies, communication methods, technology, and problem resolution techniques as they relate to telecommuting.
- Telecommuting360 – Telecommuting360 is an organization of telecommuters, providers and companies dedicated to bringing resources and people together to solve the ongoing issues surrounding telecommuting.
- Telecommuting Productivity Research – A study that identifies fifteen reasons why telecommuting may not increase productivity as much as commonly believed.
- teleTwenties – Job leads, advice, and distractions for the young, and the young at heart, professional who can’t imagine 40 more years of life in a cubicle.
- The Telework Coalition – News, tools, facts, reference materials and links to telework and telecommuting resource and companies including telemedicine and distance learning applications
- Telework Enhancement Act of 2007 – Senate bill to, “ensure that eligible employees participate in telework to the maximum extent possible without diminishing employee performance or agency operations.”
- Telework Exchange – A public-private partnership focused on demonstrating the tangible value of telework, particularly within the US Federal teleworker community. Provides value and eligibility calculators, research studies, and useful tools.
- Telework in Hungary and Worldwide – A Hungarian telework job board with tips and articles on teleworking.
- The Telework Network – TeleworkNetwork.com is a network of ideas and people which provide the tools to learn about, succeed, and survive the telework world.
- Telework Recruiting, Inc. – Subscription-based site offering lists of telecommuting jobs and work from home jobs for the US, UK, and Canada.
- Telework: The Benefits – The benefits of telecommuting for employers and for teleworkers.
- Telework!VA – Free resources, expert telework assistance, and financial incentives provided by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transport for Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, and Richmond companies to encourage work-at-home programs.
- Undress4Success – Blog offering advice on how to find legitimate home based businesses, work from home jobs with traditional employers, and freelance work.
- Variety Work at Home – A directory of real work-at-home jobs that require no fees. Includes advice, information and resources for home based work.
- VirtualWorks! – Works with organizations to teach people new ways to work productively in the virtual workplace. Resource site for those who either currently are or wish to telecommute.
- 2Work-At-Home.com – Provides telecommuting job listings, home business ideas and other work from home resources.
- World of Work Portal – Portal for small business, self employment, teleworking information and resources.
- You Can Work From Anywhere – Tips, tools, articles, newsletters, seminars, and other resources to help improve the productivity of telecommuters, mobile workers, managers, and home-based workers.